CO2 Fire Suppression Systems
CO2 systems are the preferred choice as an extinguishant for a multitude of critical facilities. Fast, efficient and adaptable to a wide range of hazards, the discharge of carbon dioxide [a low-cost clean agent] is non-damaging to property and electrically non-conductive. Multi-Hazard Protection can be designed to provide automatic, simultaneous discharge for a variety of hazards and configurations.
CO2 systems are used for:
- Power Generation
- Cement Plant/Blast Furnace Indirect Coal Firing Systems
- Metal Production and Processing
- Electronics Operations
- Electronics/Computer Production
- Research Facilities
- Shipboard (Marine) Systems
- Automated Storage and Retrieval Facilities
Low-pressure CO2 systems and equipment are best suited for applications where large quantities of CO2are needed. A high-pressure system is recommended for smaller hazards or where space is limited.
Benefits of CO2:
- Fast - Within seconds, CO2 penetrates the entire hazard areas to smother the combustion.
- Environmentally Friendly - CO2 exists as a gas in the earth's atmosphere and is one of the by-products of combustion. It's use has no environmental impact.
- Non-damaging - CO2 does not cause spoilage, requires no clean up and leaves no residue.
- Non-conductive - CO2 is electrically non-conductive, allowing use for a wide variety of special applications.
- Adaptive - CO2 is effective on a wide range of flammable and combustible materials.
A CO2 fire suppression system consists of one or more banks of cylinder storage containers to supply the CO2 extinguishing agent. Flexible discharge hoses connect the cylinders into a piping manifold. The manifold distributes the agent into the piping network. Nozzles regulate the flow of CO2 into the protected area.
Contact WNY Fire Protection to learn more about CO2 Fire suppression systems.